The Inaugural Family Triathlon Challenge, presented by Virtua, will be held on Saturday, August 19, 2017, on the campus of Gloucester County Institute of Technology in Sewell NJ. This event will follow the KidzTri3 Challenge Champ Triathlon and is part of KidzTri3 South Jersey Race Weekend.
How it Works
Families can participate in two ways – either as a Family Team, where each team member completes each leg of the event individually, or as a Family Relay Team, where an individual team member completes one, or two legs of the event.
- Family Team – Each adult team member will complete a 50 meter swim, 1 mile bike and 1 mile run. Depending on the age of the youth team member, each course will have a shorter option (e.g., 25 meter swim, .5 mile bike, .5 mile run, etc.), however they too will complete each leg of the race, individually. Once the race starts, Team members will wait in a holding area until they are tagged by their team member coming off the run course, so they can start their swim. This will continue until the last team member has exited transition and is on the run course. At this point, all Team members that have completed the entire course will go to the finish line holding area and wait for their last team member. Once the last team member approaches the finish area, they will all go down the finish line chute and cross the finish line together.
- Family Relay Team – Each team member will complete one, or two legs of the race, so it’s up to each Team to determine which part of the course they will complete individually. Teams can consist of three members, who each complete one leg (swim, bike and run); or two members, where one member will complete two legs (swim, bike or bike, run, etc.). Once the race starts, Relay Team members will wait in transition at their Team’s rack, where they will tag the next team member who will start the next leg of the race. When a team member completes their leg of the race, they will leave transition and go to the finish line holding area and wait for their last team member. Once the last team member approaches the finish line, they will all go down the finish line chute and cross the finish line together.
- Transition – Each Family Team will have their own Family Rack Area in transition, for all team members to rack their bikes and set up their race gear. Relay Teams will share their rack with other Relay Teams, since only one bike will be racked for the team.
The Race Course
50 meter swim, 1 mile bike and 1 mile run. Depending on the age of the youth team member, each course will have a shorter option (e.g., 25 meter swim, .5 mile bike, .5 mile run, etc.). The Family Triathlon Challenge is not a timed event. It’s a fun participatory event for everyone to have a fun and memorable experience, together!
Swim aids, tricycles, 4-wheel bikes, adaptive equipment, etc., will all be permitted. If younger athletes need an adult buddy/guide with them on the race course, please ensure the buddy/guide is at least 16 years or older.
Participant Race Age
To participate, your team members must be 5 years old or older.
Team Format Options
Teams are to be made up of family members (parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and siblings). If there is a special circumstance, please EMAIL us.
Family Teams >>
- 2 Person Teams – one child and one adult
- 3 Person Teams – at least one child and one adult
- 4 Person Teams – at least two children and one adult
- 5 Person Teams – at least two children and one adult
- 6 Person Teams – at least two children and one adult
Family Relay Teams >>
- Relay Teams – at least one child and one adult for a 2- or 3-person team. The maximum number of relay team members is 3.
Other Team Combinations >>
- Other – we will take other family team combinations on a case-by-case basis. Please EMAIL us if you have any questions.
Who Can Participate?
Anyone can participate, as long as there is one child and one adult on a team. Participants do not need to be employees of Virtua, nor do they need to be related to any employees of Virtua to participate.
To ensure the safety of our athletes, we need Volunteers to help throughout race weekend. If you are interested in volunteering, sign up HERE or email our Volunteer Coordinator. Do you know any high school or college students that need volunteer hours? This is a great way for them to have lots of fun, make a difference in the lives of these kidz and get their hours!
Saturday ~ August 19, 2017
Race Day! Check out the Weekend Schedule for times and activities.